Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tomatoes tomatoes and more tomatoes!

So its that time again. Time for canning! Every year my mom and I work on canning peaches, stewed tomatoes, salsa, and pickled red beets. My favorite is of course the salsa. I love tomatoes. They are definitely one of my top five favorite foods. Yum. So yesterday we did 7 quarts of stewed tomatoes, 7 pints of stewed tomatoes, 8 pints of salsa, (which turned out excellent), and when I left there were two big pots of tomato sauce simmering on the stove. This is the first time we did sauce. We used a Victoria strainer, which is really nifty, it peeled the skin off and squished the seeds out only keeping the juice and pulp like stuff. So that had to of made 10+ jars of tomato sauce. Today we are going to try and make tomato juice. Yum! The girls ended up napping at the same time (yay, luv when that happens) and we got all but the sauce done in 4 hours. It was a successful day! When Noni woke up from her nap she wanted to help us so we gave her the job of rinsing the dirt off of the tomatoes. She really was a big help!

No comments:

Post a Comment