Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ode to Grandma!


So today is my last day of Grandma-sitting. It's a bitter sweet day. I no longer have any obligations but it means Grandma needs more attentions than what we are giving her. She will be going to a lovely home not far from us so we will visit.
Just wanted to share a glimpse of her with all of you. I spent three days a week with her for the past 6 months and this is what I have learned and observed.


She grew up on a farm which she enjoyed very much. Devoted about 20 years of service to a christian camp. Was a wife but now is a widow. Was a mother, a grandmother and now a great grandmother. She loves children dearly, especially babies. Loves flowers. Loves the blue sky which she pointed out to me numeruos times. Loves her sweets, she would never say No to dessert. Loves politics and tried her best to stay on top of it all. Loves to wash dishes and clean-up. Loves to worship the Lord. And was always cold.

She now has alzheimer's or dementia. One or both I dont know. It doesn't matter what it is but she is not the woman she once was. She remembers things from long ago but the things of today are too much to keep track of. I get teary eyed imaging myself this way some day. Thinking what is going on inside of her head. Some say they would rather loose their health or their sight then their mind. I just don't know what I would choose. You still can be delighted by the simple things in life but if you don't know who you are sharing those things with, then what does it matter. But God has a plan for everyone and everything. Maybe His plan was to teach me a few things. To show me how to do things for someone else. Or to teach me patience or compassion. Whatever His plan was it sure was character building for me. Although I am glad to see this time in "my life" over, I do wish blessings and peace to Grandma as a new time in her life starts! May she always delight in the small things. She will always have a special place in my heart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment