Monday, May 24, 2010

To live simply and simply live~


I’ve been contemplating the whole idea of living simply and what it means for my family. I love the idea of living in a way that doesn’t involve indulgence or excessiveness. In this day and age it can be a hard thing to accomplish but then I realized maybe its not so hard after all.
There’s so much hipe these days about being “green” and recycling and natural living. Which don’t get me wrong is a good thing and we should take care of the earth by not littering and doing our best to not pollute the air. But why is this such a new concept? I grew up being taught to respect your surroundings. That’s just what ya do. Clean up after yourself, turn lights off when you’re not in a room, don’t take more than 5 minute showers (if u can help it), recycle the things that can be recycled…lets see what else did we do growing up… we always had to eat what was on our plate, reused Ziploc bags if they weren’t yucky, bought produce, meat, and eggs from local farmers, always ate leftovers, had a compost pile, grew a garden,(a really big one actually) had a woodstove, hung wash out on a wash line and probably more “eco friendly” stuff. As I write this I realize that some of these things would be pretty impossible for those who live in urban areas, but some of the things I listed most certainly are possible no matter where you live. I just find it pretty cool that the fad (or whatever you want to call it) of being earth friendly and “green” as we now call it has been my families way of living all along. I think it is great that more and more people are taking part in this conscious living and being aware that what you do does matter and does have consequences.


That being said Peter and I do live a simple life. We do our part in taking care of our land and appreciate every inch of it’s beauty and acknowledging Him who created it, but we don’t worry about it. Because we know this land will not last forever. There will be a knew heaven and a new earth for His people which I cannot wait to see and experience. Okay I guess I can wait because I am enjoying this earth but I know it too will be amazing. I’m looking forward to it. What I’m trying to say is that I truly love the concept of being “green” but we partake in it for different reasons then a lot of the world. We will continue to live simply and take care of the earth because that’s how we live. And we will teach our kids to live this way as well.

I will say that I love all the “green” products they make out of recycled stuff because they’re usually earthy natural colors. Green, brown and that tannish oatmeal color are my favorite colors.

I’d love to hear some of your thoughts on this topic and what you all do to be “green.”

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you, Kendal. I have the same take on health too... It's good to be healthy and take care of the bodies God gave us ~ but I don't like to take those ideals too far ~ putting more emphasis on our physical bodies instead of our eternal souls. And I'm with you girl ~ so eager for heaven!!

    ReplyDelete